How to continue after the book?

bauss via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 28 08:22:33 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 28 March 2017 at 07:27:31 UTC, I Lindström wrote:
> After getting the basics down, how did you continue when
> learning programming in general?
>
> I do have a need for which I've been trying out a few languages
> and D seems by far the best for me. Should I just start doing
> that project and learn as I go by googling and asking here, or
> are there some other things you did before starting your first
> "real" project.

I have never actually used a book to learn. Practice is the best
way to learn, at least for me. It differs from person to person
how they learn best.

What I have used books for though, is improving knowledge on
fields that I most likely know or to learn basic knowledge or
different views on certain fields.

I haven't read a lot of books, especially not for D. I've only
gotten Andrei's and Adam's book. Looked a tiny bit through Ali's,
but yeah. I'm not much of a book person when it comes to learning
programming or anything alike. I do enjoy reading them, but
generally it's to expand my current knowledge and not to learn
anything new.

What I usually do is to pick a certain type of project, write
down each requirement and feature it needs and then see what
certain skills I'd need to finish it and then take one thing at a
time, then after each time I scrap the project and start over to
re-write it with improvements.