ddox empty public methods/interfaces etc

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 13 15:19:29 UTC 2017

On 11/10/17 5:12 AM, RazvanN wrote:
> On Thursday, 9 November 2017 at 14:21:52 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> On 11/8/17 10:45 PM, Andrey wrote:
>>
>>> I just added to dub.json this:

>>> i.e. without --only-documented option, in this way ddox will generate
>>> documentation for all public methods, even if there is no docstring.
>>
>> Interesting. I misunderstood then how ddox works. I thought the json
>> it gets is the output from the ddoc generator, but now I realize it's
>> the output from the parser itself.
>>
>> So sure, this makes sense. Sorry for the misinformation!
>>

> I don't want to open a new forum thread for this, but if you guys have
> more experience with ddox can you please explain me how does it work? I
> expected you can simply run ddox on a .d file and it will output the
> documentation in some sort of form (json, html or whatever), but from
> what I saw, you need to pass it the json if you want to use
> serve-html/generate-html/filter and you have to use dmd to generate the
> json. Looking on the source code only passing serve-test actually parses
> the .d file, but the serve-test doesn't seem to be a public parameter.

Just from observation, I see there's a generated json file when I use
ddox. Since dmd can parse code and generate a .json file for a consumer
to use, I assumed it was actually the result of ddoc, and ddox was just
putting its own spin on it. But it seems the result of parsing all the
code is generated in the json file.

I don't know much more than that, so I probably shouldn't have even
responded in the first place :)

-Steve