ESR on post-C landscape

codephantom me at noyb.com
Thu Nov 16 02:12:10 UTC 2017

On Tuesday, 14 November 2017 at 11:55:17 UTC, codephantom wrote:
> The reason he can dismiss D, so easily, is because of his
> starting premise that C is flawed. As soon as you begin with
> that premise, you justify searching for C's replacement, which
> makes it difficult to envsion something like D.
>
> That's why we got C++, instead of D. Because the starting point
> for C++, was the idea that C was flawed.

Actually, I got that wrong.

Perhaps the mistake C++ made, was concluding that 'classes' were
the "proper primary focus of program design" (chp1. The Design
and Evolution of C++).

I have to wonder whether that conclusion sparked the inevitable
demise of C++.

Eric should be asking a similar question about Go ..what decision
has been made that sparked Go's inevitable demise - or in the
case of Go, decision would be decisions.

this is what did it for me:

a := b