ESR on post-C landscape

Ola Fosheim Grostad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 18:24:44 UTC 2017

On Thursday, 16 November 2017 at 18:06:22 UTC, Patrick Schluter
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 14 November 2017 at 16:38:58 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grostad wrote:
>> changing. C no longer models the hardware in a reasonable
>> manner.
>>
> Because of the flawed interpretation of UB by the compiler
> writers, not because of a property of the language itself.

No, I am talking about the actual hardware, not UB. In the 80s
there was almost 1-to-1 correspondence between C and CPU
internals. CPUs are still designed for C, but the more code shift
away from C, the more rewarding it will be for hardware designers
to move to more parallell designs.