Andrei's "The D Programming Language" book. Up to date?

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 11:13:39 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 4 October 2017 at 20:49:26 UTC, John Gabriele wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is my first message to this forum. And what a pleasure it
> is to be here. :)
>
> I was just looking around at what D books are available. I see
> that Andrei's "The D Programming Language" was published in
> 2010. What's changed in the language, library, and community
> since then that I should be aware of if following along with
> and learning from that book?
>
> Incidentally, is a new edition is on its way any time soon?
>
> Thanks!

The core language hasn't changed that much (yet some). Most of
the differences from times back then are because we now have much
more third-party libraries, and the implementation is much more
stable. Or that's what I've heard anyway.

And I think that the book is ahead of it's time, advertising
features that probably only barely worked and were seldom used
back then. Just what Modern c++ is known for too. That makes it
feel easily three years younger than it really is. I wasn't here
myself trough so I don't know for sure.