Temporary objects as function parameters or when-is-this-shit-going-to-end?

ketmar ketmar at ketmar.no-ip.org
Mon Oct 16 03:49:18 UTC 2017

Michael V. Franklin wrote:

> In fact, you might want to propose matching bounty from the community on
> this specific bug to encourage funding.  For example, make an
> announcement on the forum that anyone who places a bounty on the bug in
> question will receive a matching contribution from you.  Maybe that might
> raise the bounty high enough to get someone qualified to fix the bug.  Or
> maybe not; it's just an idea that occurred to me.

judging from my several decades of expirience, bounties almost never works.
there are alot of reasons for that, but the fact still stands: it is
*almost* impossible to make something happen with boundy. it may work by
accident ;-), but i myself wouldn't count on that. either bounty is too
small ("hey, my time worth much more! i'd better spend it playing
videogames!"), or it is too big ("hey, this is a Really Huge Problem, if
somebody wants to pay than much! that means that i'll inevitably spend more
time on that, and... the bounty is too small. oops." ;-).

but one can hire a contractor to fix some specific problem. this is much
easier, and almost usually works as people expected: there are clearly
specified goals, a payment, a timeline and such. both parties know what
exactly they want, and can control the whole process.