Error: template std.conv.parse cannot deduce function from argument types

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 17:47:30 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 6 February 2018 at 17:33:43 UTC, Ralph Doncaster
wrote:
> I get this error when I try the following code:

parse specifically works with a reference input it can advance.
 From the docs:

"It takes the input by reference. (This means that rvalues - such
as string literals - are not accepted: use to instead.)
It advances the input to the position following the conversion."

> I think the template overloading for parse is getting confused
> because it sees the lvalue r.l as being of type union rather
> than ulong.

The left hand side of an assignment never plays a role in
overloading, so you can disregard that. It is just a string
literal cannot be advanced and thus does not work with parse.