Building from source on FreeBSD

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Mon Feb 19 12:01:31 UTC 2018

On Monday, February 19, 2018 11:43:26 psychoticRabbit via Digitalmars-d-
learn wrote:
> So I finally got around to building from source.
>
> I have builds working just fine on a variety of linux machines,
> it's just a FreeBSD problem I'm having.
>
> So, on FreeBSD, I can build the dmd directory, and the phobos
> directory ok.
>
> When building tools directory, most tools get built ok, but the
> build process stops during something to do with curl..
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> > gmake -f posix.mak -j8  (yeah on FreeBSD use gmake not make)
>
> .
> ..
> ... (bunch of stuff builds ok.. then this next line)
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lcurl
> cc: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see
> invocation)
> Error: linker exited with status 1
> gmake: *** [posix.mak:77: generated/freebsd/64/dget] Error 1
> gmake: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
> ----------------------------
>
> Yes, I do have the FreeBSD curl package installed - curl-7.56.0
>
> Yes, curl is in the path> which curl -> /usr/local/bin/curl
>
> So I can only assume my FreeBSD machine is missing some curl
> related library/package??
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

I've never been able to figure this problem out, so I've I always just
edited the makefile so that the two programs in CURL_TOOLS aren't built.
IIRC, if you use -v to see the full linker command, it's even actually
linking to the curl library that's there but somehow not succeeding. It's
all quite weird. It's been a while since I dug into it though.

- Jonathan M Davis