Is https://tour.dlang.org under maintenance?

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Sat Jan 27 01:53:12 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 27 January 2018 at 01:15:03 UTC, ChrisPiker wrote:
> On Friday, 26 January 2018 at 23:55:06 UTC, Seb wrote:
>> No it's not on maintenance.
>> I am not getting this error on neither Chrome or Firefox.
>>
>> See: https://imgur.com/a/wRhrw
> Oh good.  Was a bit worried that it might be affecting everyone.
>> What Firefox version are you using?
>> Anything specific about your setup?
> I'm running version 52.5.1 on RedHat 6, turned off all add-ons
> to make sure none were affecting page load but still received
> the same result.  I'll try again from a computer running a
> different OS and/or browser and see what happens.

It's still strange. Mind to open an issue and share screenshots
here?

https://github.com/dlang-tour/core/issues/new

tour.dlang.{org,io} uses LetsEncrypt which is used by a lot of
websites.

BTW you can run the tour offline too:

```
git clone https://github.com/dlang-tour/core
cd core
git submodule foreach git pull origin master
dub
```

>> Why don't you create your own exception?
>
> I'm new to D and just trying to use the tools already provide
> in the standard library before making my own or looking for
> alternatives.  Coming from Java and Python it seems to be
> re-inventing the wheel a bit to generate purpose build
> exceptions to report environment problems.  These must occur
> all the time in may different programs.
>
> If the common D way is make your own exceptions I could do
> that, no problem.

In D typically you just use `enforce`:

https://dlang.org/phobos/std_exception.html#enforce

(except for bigger projects / libraries, of course)

Example:

```
enforce("The environment variable FOOBAR isn't defined", "FOOBAR"
!in environment);
```

The mantra here is that in the majority of all cases you don't
care as long as the uncaught exception kills the program and
prints a nice message to the user or your log. And more complex
projects want to define and use their own Exception hierarchies
anyways.
The standard library only defines Exceptions it can/will throw
itself.