Further questions on interfacing to Postgres libpq

Joe jma at freedomcircle.com
Sat Jan 27 05:11:51 UTC 2018

An example test program that I'm using to learn D to C
interfacing (specifically calling the libpq library) has a call
to a C function declared as follows:

     void PQprint(FILE *fout,      /* output stream */
                  const PGresult *res,
                  const PQprintOpt *po);

PQprintOpt is a struct whose first six members are declared as
'pqbool' which is in turn declared as "typedef char pqbool;" in
the distributed Postgres header file. I've defined an "alias
pqbool = char;" in the D file, which is pretty straightforward.

The second of the six members has the name "align", which is a D
keyword. So I renamed it "align_" and I presume that won't cause
any problems.

To deal with the first argument to PQprint, I added "import
core.stdc.stdio : FILE;".  The question is how to pass the D
"stdout" as that argument.  The D compiler tells me I can't pass
it as is (as was done in C), because in D it's of type "File".