How to proceed with learning to code Windows desktop applications?

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 22:44:56 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 30 January 2018 at 18:41:57 UTC, I Lindström wrote:
> On Tuesday, 30 January 2018 at 05:56:51 UTC, DanielG wrote:
>> There are far too many options for Windows GUI programming, so
>> we probably need a bit more information about any constraints
>> that are important to you.
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> - do you specifically want something that works well with D?
>> or are you open to other languages?
>>
>> - are you just wanting to learn desktop programming in
>> general? (Like the concepts involved) Or do you have a
>> specific thing you want to create?
>>
>> I would personally suggest Delphi to somebody who wants to
>> write Windows desktop apps and learn about event-driven
>> development, howeverrr the language (Object Pascal) is
>> insufferably archaic compared to something like D. But it is
>> definitely the cleanest, least-overwhelming method of writing
>> native Win32 applications for somebody with no prior
>> experience.
>>
>> Then there's all the modern Microsoft stuff
>> (WPF/XAML/WinRT/etc), but you pretty much have to use either
>> .NET or C++ for that.
>
> I have a specific thing I want to create and I could do it in a
> console but it'd be very clunky to use, but at the moment I
> need to learn the basic stuff for this. I'd like to use D as
> I've grown quite fond of it after my earlier attempts at first
> Perl, then Python, C++ and now D for the past year and a half.
> For some reason D feels the most... homey and comfortable of
> the languages I've tried.

There is a D GUI library called DlangUI at
https://github.com/buggins/dlangui. The README file show some
basic examples on how to use it. More demo apps are in the
"examples" folder. Looking through those examples can really
help. It works on windows and will work on Mac and Linux too. I
use it on Linux and its quite impressive.

Some people here have used it to develop commercial softwares.
I'm in a process of learning and creating a much nicer theme for
it. Not much progress for now.