How to proceed with learning to code Windows desktop applications?

I Lindström nota.real at address.com
Tue Jan 30 18:41:57 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 30 January 2018 at 05:56:51 UTC, DanielG wrote:
> There are far too many options for Windows GUI programming, so
> we probably need a bit more information about any constraints
> that are important to you.
>
> For example:
>
> - do you specifically want something that works well with D? or
> are you open to other languages?
>
> - are you just wanting to learn desktop programming in general?
> (Like the concepts involved) Or do you have a specific thing
> you want to create?
>
> I would personally suggest Delphi to somebody who wants to
> write Windows desktop apps and learn about event-driven
> development, howeverrr the language (Object Pascal) is
> insufferably archaic compared to something like D. But it is
> definitely the cleanest, least-overwhelming method of writing
> native Win32 applications for somebody with no prior experience.
>
> Then there's all the modern Microsoft stuff
> (WPF/XAML/WinRT/etc), but you pretty much have to use either
> .NET or C++ for that.

I have a specific thing I want to create and I could do it in a
console but it'd be very clunky to use, but at the moment I need
to learn the basic stuff for this. I'd like to use D as I've
grown quite fond of it after my earlier attempts at first Perl,
then Python, C++ and now D for the past year and a half. For some
reason D feels the most... homey and comfortable of the languages
I've tried.