How to proceed with learning to code Windows desktop applications?

Arredondo arm.plus at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 12:56:31 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 30 January 2018 at 18:52:18 UTC, I Lindström wrote:
> On Tuesday, 30 January 2018 at 12:30:36 UTC, rjframe wrote:
>>
>> VS release builds compile to native now by default; for easy
>> Windows programming, you really can't beat C# and drawing the
>> GUI (Windows Forms, not necessarily the new stuff). If the OP
>> wants to learn what's needed for more complex GUI tasks (like
>> for most non-simple applications), learning to build a GUI
>> from source is kind of necessary though.
>>

> I've been looking into C# and VS2017 today along with VisualD.
> Reading through all this it looks like the simplest path is to
> learn C# and VS and go from there. I've found a pile of courses
> on LinkedIn that seem to build up to what I need. What makes me
> sad is that I have to drop D for at least the time being.

As other have said, WPF and C# is the way to go for Windows GUI
programming, but you don't necessarily need to drop D. You could
write your interface code in VS and have it call your D library
via pinvoke (Platform Invoke). To make this work you must mark
your public D functions with extern(C). Read the documentation on
extern(C) and PInvoke.

Honestly, I don't know why more people don't do this. It really
seems to be like the best of both worlds, as C# + WPF is king for
Windows GUI and D is king for library development. The only
drawback I can think of is you have to expose your awesome D
library via a dumped down C interface.