class X has forward references

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 12 20:30:22 UTC 2018

On 6/12/18 4:14 PM, bauss wrote:
> What could cause that error?
>
> I cannot find anything in the documentation nor does the error message
> itself give much information.

A forward reference that can't be figured out by the compiler. This is
one of the DMD front end's real weak spots.

> I can't really give a good example, but I can tell as much as I have a
> few inheritances of classes using templates.

Yes, I've had weird forward reference errors in the past, and the only
way I've been able to solve them is to move stuff around.

> I just don't think that would be the issue.
>
> When I try to make a minimized example it doesn't happen, so I'm going
> to assume it's either a function or a member or something in one of the
> inheritances that does it.
>
> It would be really helpful if I knew what I was looking for, because
> it's thousands of lines of code I have to dig through with trial and error.

Have you tried dustmite?

I would think at least it should print the symbol it's not able to resolve.

-Steve