Slow start up time of runtime (correction: Windows real-time protection)

Dennis dkorpel at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 16:56:59 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 20 March 2018 at 12:18:16 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Tuesday, 20 March 2018 at 09:44:41 UTC, Dennis wrote:
> I suspect you are seeing the Windows antivirus hitting you. D
> runtime starts up in a tiny fraction of a second, you shouldn't
> be noticing it.

You're totally right, disabling real-time protection makes a
massive difference. I always found a second exceptionally long
for a runtime to initialize, but I couldn't think of any other
differences between a simple dmd-compiled program and a simple
dmc-compiled program.

On Tuesday, 20 March 2018 at 12:18:16 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>  I betcha you'll see this delay (and a similar one on dmd
> itself, your compiles could be running at half-speed with this
> too)

Definitely. I've tested how long tools take to simply print their
help text: for the first time with virus scan, second time with
virus scan and without any real-time protection. D tools seem to
get the longest delay.

         First   Second  No protection (miliseconds)
dmc     84      52      16
dmd     2400    1200    24
dub     2300    1100    25
ldc     4500    180     30
gcc     240     100     18

On Tuesday, 20 March 2018 at 12:18:16 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> I don't know why the antivirus picks on D so much, but on my
> box it does and it sounds like it is on yours too. BTW that
> real time check box likes to keep turning itself on... so the
> slowness will keep coming back.

Typical Windows... It keeps turning on the Windows update service
too.

This now leaves the question what's the best way to mitigate
this, because I would gladly get rid of the second of delay any
time I invoke dmd, ldc or dub as well as my own applications.