Is HibernateD dead?

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Thu May 3 18:01:07 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 3 May 2018 at 10:27:47 UTC, Pasqui23 wrote:
> Last commit on https://github.com/buggins/hibernated
> was almost a year ago
>
> So what is the status of HibernateD?Should I use it if I need
> an ORM? Or would I risk unpatched security risks?

Hah!
I was just browsing the forums thinking about the same issue and
whether I should ask a question about it.
I am using Hibernated in one bigger project, ripping it out at
this point would be quite painful and I only ever want to do that
if there is a sustainable and actively developed alternative that
is comparable in features[1].

Truth is, so far I haven't found any D ORM that compares to
Hibernated in terms of supported features and databases.
Hibernated also has issues though, at the time I maintain a
forked version with changes that I hope to upstream soon -
unfortunately, the trivial open pull-request on the project
doesn't look promising.

DiamondMVC looks nice, but I would need PostgreSQL support for
sure.
Therefore, I think there are three options:
  1) Extend the DiamondMVC ORM to support missing features that
Hibernated has (maybe make it use ddbc as backend?)
  2) Revive Hibernated - contacting Vadim Lopatin would be key for
that, and maybe the project could be maintained in the
dlang-community organization (although there are competing
projects for it...)
  3) Find a different D ORM that does the job and expand it to
include missing features.

I really don't want to write ORMs in D and I actually lack the
skills to do it properly, but I rely pretty heavily on Hibernated
and ddbc. So, if anyone has a solution for this, I would help
with it for sure.
Asking Vadim (buggins) on the state of Hibernated would be the
first thing to do, I think.

Cheers,
     Matthias

[1]: In fact, when I switched the database backend once in the
past from an attempt to not use an ORM to using Hibernated, I was
very close to rewriting the whole thing in Python - in D, there
are tons of ORMs and database abstraction layers written, but not
a single one compares even remotely to the likes of SQLAlchemy.
It would be awesome if instead of 5 70% completed projects, we
had one 90% complete one.