Why is stdio ... stdio?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Nov 9 02:24:11 UTC 2018

On Fri, Nov 09, 2018 at 02:03:36AM +0000, Chris Katko via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> Simple curious question.
>
> Why isn't :
>
> import std.stdio;
>
> instead:
>
> import std.io;

The reason is that std.stdio is basically just a nice D wrapper with
syntactic sugar around the C library's stdio.h.  There has been a std.io
in the works, but unfortunately it hasn't quite materialized yet.  So
for now, we're stuck with std.stdio.

> (Also, while we're at it. Why doesn't this form have code
> highlighting? It would much improve readibility. Doesn't that seem
> almost essential for a programming forum?)
[...]

Because this "forum" isn't really a web forum, but just a web interface
to an NNTP server that also has a mailing list interface (I (mostly) use
the mailing list interface).  Haven't really felt a need for syntax
highlighting myself, though most opinions differ. :-D

Latin's a dead language, as dead as can be; it killed off all the Romans, and now it's killing me! -- Schoolboy