Why is stdio ... stdio?

Neia Neutuladh neia at ikeran.org
Fri Nov 9 02:25:45 UTC 2018

On Fri, 09 Nov 2018 02:03:36 +0000, Chris Katko wrote:
> Simple curious question.
>
> Why isn't :
>
> import std.stdio;
>
> instead:
>
> import std.io;

IO includes things like memory mapping, sockets, listing files, named
pipes, that sort of thing.

Standard IO includes only reading and writing to files and the console.

> (Also, while we're at it. Why doesn't this form have code highlighting?
> It would much improve readibility. Doesn't that seem almost essential
> for a programming forum?)

It's not a forum. It's a newsgroup that happens to have a web interface.
Newsgroups are text-only. So bbcode is out, html is out, but interpreting
markdown might be reasonable. But nobody's done that work.