Why is stdio ... stdio?

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Fri Nov 9 06:42:37 UTC 2018

On Thursday, November 8, 2018 7:25:45 PM MST Neia Neutuladh via Digitalmars-
d-learn wrote:
> It's not a forum. It's a newsgroup that happens to have a web interface.
> Newsgroups are text-only. So bbcode is out, html is out, but interpreting
> markdown might be reasonable. But nobody's done that work.

Honestly, having markdown in messages being typical would be _really_
annoying for those of us not using the web interface, because we'd see all
of those backticks and the like as backticks, not as syntax highlighting. It
would be like seeing html, albeit far less intrusive. I for one would much
rather that things just stay as pure text and that we not be adding any
features to the web interface that encourages adding _any_ kind of markup to
messages. The web interface makes it easier for folks who don't want to use
a newsgroup or mailing list to interact with the newsgroup, but it's still a
newsgroup, and _many_ of us use it as such.

- Jonathan M Davis