x64 Privileged instruction

Vladimir Panteleev thecybershadow.lists at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 14:57:20 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 13 September 2018 at 05:50:53 UTC, Josphe Brigmo
wrote:
>>> Privileged instruction
>
> Lots of code. I pretty much always get this error.

Something must have gone really wrong to get this error. Most
likely, the CPU instruction pointer ended up in a memory area
without any code in it.

Windows exception handling is tricky (see Don/Walter's recent
discussion), but basic cases should be well-covered by the
compiler/runtime test suite.

So, I suspect one of the following happened:

- Your program is exhibiting an edge case and uncovering a bug
not covered by the test case. If this is the case, please reduce
your program to a minimal, self-contained example, and file a bug
report.

- There is a bug in your program that is causing its memory to be
corrupted. Using @safe can help narrow it down
(https://dlang.org/spec/memory-safe-d.html).

- There is something specific to your machine that causes the
problem to occur there, but not on the test runners. This could
happen e.g. due to software which alter behavior of other
programs (like through DLL injection), or using a specific
Windows version. You can eliminate this possibility by running
the DMD test suite.