DlangUI and android

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Mon Sep 24 16:12:09 UTC 2018

On Monday, 10 September 2018 at 09:19:52 UTC, Josphe Brigmo wrote:
> Is there an emulator that can run the apks? Android emulator
> does not work, I suppose, because it isn't java. Complains
> about a missing classes.dex file.

It isn't clear what you're trying to do: you're trying to run a D
apk compiled for ARM in an Android/x86 emulator? That won't work.

> I'd rather have an emulator version if possible for quicker dev.

I've just been trying out the Anbox container for linux, which
allows you to run Android apps on the same CPU as your linux
distro, so Android/x64 apps on my linux/x64 VPS:

https://anbox.io

However, 15 modules from Phobos have tests that are failing or
segfaulting, as it's the first time I tried Android/x64. I hope
to have it working better by the next ldc 1.12 beta, maybe you
can try it then.

I'll also note that you can get pretty quick turnaround for
actual Android hardware by enabling USB debugging or WiFi adb
access on your device. But if you need to do some touch or GUI
testing with the screen and don't want to manually handle the
hardware each time, you'll either have to use an ARM emulator or
wait for the Android/x64 support to get better.