Help me decide D or C

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Thu Aug 1 22:36:06 UTC 2019

On Thu, 2019-08-01 at 14:49 +0000, bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
[…]
> There's nothing wrong with Haskell if you want to take a deep
> dive into pure functional programming. I personally find Haskell
> to be more of a religion than a programming language. You can
> learn the same perspective from functional-first languages like
> Clojure, Scala, Ocaml, and F#.
[…]

Whilst I agree that most "this is the one true programming language" people
are quasi-religious, programming languages are not: Haskell is a just a lazy,
pure functional programming language, some adherents show quasi-religious
fervour, just as some adherents of C++, Java, C, Go, Rust, D, etc. do.

I am not sure about F# (I do not know anything of it), but Clojure, Scala, and
OCaml are very different from Haskell for various reasons, cf. lazy vs. eager,
pure vs. impure. Haskell is a programming language worth learning for all
programmers,along with Lisp, Prolog, and Erlang.

I'll bet (but I have no experimental data, just a hypothesis) that any D
programmer that knows Haskell writes better D than a D programmer who doesn't
know Haskell.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200