[OT] What kind of Editor, IDE you are using and which one do you like for D language?

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Thu Dec 26 17:59:22 UTC 2019

On Tue, 2019-12-24 at 09:52 -0800, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d-learn
wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 24, 2019 at 10:18:49AM +0000, Russel Winder via
> Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:

[…]
> Haha, well, a *real* hardcore retro guy would be using a magnet, a
> pin,
> and a *really* steady hand, to flip individual bits on an exposed
> harddisk platter to create the executable in the filesystem directly,
> one bit at a time.
>
> Of course, one could also just use emacs:
>
> 	https://xkcd.com/378/
>
> :-D

One always returns to using Emacs for text editing – it is the One True
Editor™ (and kitchen sink).

[…]
> It wasn't so much wrong highlighting for me, it was the fact that it
> was
> highlighted at all.  I find the kaleidoscopic colors extremely
> distracting and disruptive to my focusing on the textual content of
> the
> code.  Not to mention that the colors usually clash horribly with my
> chosen foreground/background color scheme in my terminal, which only
> adds unreadable bits of text to the problem.

Emacs and JetBrains CLion seem to work fine for me in both light-on-
dark and dark-on-light mode, so syntax highlighting works for me for
the editors I use.

I keep trying VIM, Atom, VSCode, SublimeText, Geany, etc. from time to
time, but I get bored trying to get them set up to be even remotely
sensible and just go back to Emacs.

[…]

> Actually, I wouldn't mind a syntax-oriented editor, if one could be
> made
> that wasn't artificially restrictive in terms of editing various
> different languages and various different flavors of different
> languages, such that it could be used as a general tool.

There is a movement to try and bring back what could be described as
SOEs, but I am not seeing that much traction as yet. The incumbent
editors that use vast quantities of CPU to reconstruct ASTs on the fly
seem to dominate mindset.

[…]

> This madness is nothing compared to the utter, gibbering insanity of
> modern web design, in which modern 8-core CPUs with GHz speeds and
> GBs
> of memory run dead-simple applications like word processors at the
> *same* speeds (if not worse!) as WordStar would run back in 1980 on
> an 8
> *Hz* CPU with 64KB of RAM.  With exactly the same lag between
> keystrokes, and the same (lack of) reliability requiring frequent
> backups and incessant restarting.
>
> Now *that* I call a mad, mad world.  The madness of IDEs parsing and
> reparsing the same AST over and over again umpteen times per second
> doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of *this* madness. I just
> can't wait to see some poor sod attempt to reimplement a modern IDE
> in
> Javascript and succeed at reproducing 1980's IDE speeds and (lack of)
> quality.  And of course the masses would slobber all over it and hail
> it
> as "progress".  The browser king has no clothes, and everybody sees
> invisible.

I can only agree with this rant. The modern world of software has
increasingly become about doing less and less useful to the end user
with more and more hardware resources.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200