What kind of Editor, IDE you are using and which one do you like for D language?

bachmeier no at spam.net
Mon Dec 30 01:26:11 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 29 December 2019 at 14:41:46 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:

> Whilst many programmers are happy using 1970s approaches to
> programming using ed, ex, vi, vim, emacs, sublime text, atom,
> etc. Many programmers prefer using IDEs, and are better
> programmers for it.

I don't think it's black and white as you make it out to be. When
I was programming with JVM languages (Clojure, Scala, a bit of
Java) I used Eclipse. I found that to be the right approach for
those languages because everything is done in terms of projects.
You can offload the management of your projects to the IDE. When
I use D, I think in terms of individual files, and the
cost-benefit analysis comes out in favor of opening the files in
a text editor.

This is not to say that there is anything wrong with using an
IDE, it's simply a matter of preference. I have trouble seeing
how an IDE is going to make anyone a better programmer. Perhaps a
bit more productive, but carrying along the cost of using the
IDE, as opposed to simply opening a file and typing. ed and vi
have little in common with Emacs or Atom. Many C++ programmers
have moved from using an IDE to using Vim, Emacs, and Atom the
last few years. You might wish to check out this 10-minute
presentation from the recent Emacs conf:
https://media.emacsconf.org/2019/19.html

It's definitely not 1970's technology.