What kind of Editor, IDE you are using and which one do you like for D language?

Patrick Schluter Patrick.Schluter at bbox.fr
Mon Dec 30 16:13:03 UTC 2019

On Monday, 30 December 2019 at 14:59:22 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Monday, 30 December 2019 at 06:43:03 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>
>> [...]
>
> Another way in which the IDE is "heavy" is the amount of
> overhead for beginning/occasional users. I like that I can get
> someone started using D like this:
>
> 1. Open text editor
> 2. Type simple program
> 3. Compile by typing a few characters into a terminal/command
> prompt.
>
> An IDE adds a crapload to the learning curve. It's terrible,
> because they need to memorize a bunch of steps when they use a
> GUI (click here -> type this thing in this box -> click here ->
> ...)
>
> Back when I was teaching intro econ courses, which are taken by
> nearly all students here, I'd sometimes be talking with
> students taking Java or C++ courses. One of the things that
> really sucked (beyond using Java for an intro programming
> class) was that they'd have to learn the IDE first. Not only
> were they hit with this as the simplest possible program:
>
> public class HelloWorld {
>         System.out.println("Hello, World");
>     }
> }
>
> but before they even got there, the instructor went through an
> entire lecture teaching them about the IDE. That's an effective
> way to make students think programming is a mind-numbingly
> stupid task on par with reading the phone book.
>
> Contrast that with students opening a text editor, typing
> `print "Hello World"` and then running the program.
>
> IDE support should obviously be made available. I think it
> would be a mistake, however, to move away from the simplicity
> of being able to open a text editor, type in a few lines, and
> then compile and run in a terminal. It's not just beginners.
> This is quite handy for those who will occasionally work with D
> code. For someone in my position (academic research), beginners
> and occasional programmers represents most of the user base.

Good point. It also trains people to not be able to work without
IDE. I see it at work with some of the Java devs who aren't even
able to invoke javac in a command line and setting javapath
correctly. Why? Because IDE shielded them from these easy things.
It has also a corrolary that they're not capable to implement
sometimes simple protocols or file processings without resorting
to external libraries. A little bit like people needing even and
odd library in Javascript.