What kind of Editor, IDE you are using and which one do you like for D language?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Dec 30 17:39:12 UTC 2019

On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 04:13:03PM +0000, Patrick Schluter via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
[...]
> Good point. It also trains people to not be able to work without IDE.
> I see it at work with some of the Java devs who aren't even able to
> invoke javac in a command line and setting javapath correctly. Why?
> Because IDE shielded them from these easy things. It has also a
> corrolary that they're not capable to implement sometimes simple
> protocols or file processings without resorting to external libraries.
> A little bit like people needing even and odd library in Javascript.

This is the natural consequence of pursuing popularity by making things
accessible to the lowest common denominator.  You can't say it's wrong
-- because without it, the programming industry wouldn't be anywhere
near where it is today.

But OTOH, some aspects of programming are inherently hard, and no matter
what you do, you simply cannot remove the necessity of thought about
your programming problem.

I've been around long enough to have seen an endless parade of magic new
techniques du jour, most of which purport to remove the necessity of
thought about your programming problem.  In the end they wind up
contributing one or two pieces to the collective wisdom, and fade away
in the rearview mirror. -- Walter Bright