D man pages

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Jan 7 14:25:26 UTC 2019

On Sun, Jan 06, 2019 at 03:11:48AM +0000, Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
[...]
> http://arsdnet.net/arsd/dman.png
>
> But that's the result of about 5 mins of work... though I really like
> my hyperlinks and actually kinda prefer the browser for that reason
> (tho making a custom little terminal browser to handle the links is p
> tempting)

Lately I've come to hate the modern graphical browser more and more.
It's a single over-complex point of failure that simply tries to do too
much and be too much. Instead of doing one thing well and delegating
other tasks to other programs that do them better, it does everthing
mediocrely and wants to take over everything else, and inevitably ends
up being a minefield of security holes, excessive unexplained resource
consumption, needless hidden complexity, and generally stinks of bad (or
rather lack of) design.

(My latest gripe is those pervasive evil svg/css spinners that consume
ridiculous amounts of CPU for something completely irrelevant... once I
dared to look at the related W3C specs, and found to my horror a
completely ridiculously over-engineered mess that shows all the bad
symptoms of design by committee with none of the benefits, along with
the associated bloatware that cannot be anything *but* bloated and
inefficient 'cos there's no other way to be spec-conformant. And all
this just for some eye-candy. It's utterly insane, yet these days people
swear by it.)

A text-based links browser with a focused use case sounds like a far
better idea. Though programs like elinks or pinfo may have already have
you beat on this front. :-D

If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one? -- Abraham Lincoln