OT - Git training Lon/HK and book recommendation on taste in programming

Laeeth Isharc laeeth at laeeth.com
Wed May 1 09:51:01 UTC 2019

Hi.

First question - can anyone recommend git / Gitlab training
providers in HK and London?  Two distinct audiences - highly
intelligent people that may or may not really program, and
experienced developers with a finance background that could
benefit from knowing how to use git properly (finance is often in
the dark ages).

On the former we are even getting HR, legal and compliance to
start to use git for documents.  So some handholding will be
required.

I would like a combination of classroom, small group on-premise
training and somebody being in the office a few hours a week to
help show people.

No experience is necessarily required for the latter provided you
know git well and can patiently explain things in a way less
advanced people will understand.  It could even be a nice
part-time job for a student and we could pay well.  Not that we
wouldn't look at a professional either - I just mean that I am
open minded.

Second question.  Lots of people these days start to program to
solve their problems at work but they may never have been shown
the basic principles of design, structuring and maintenance of
their code.  If I could give them one book (and a few YouTube
links) what should it be ?

Simple things like it's okay to write functions, start with
getting the data structures right, quality is fractal (Walter
making little improvements to DMD for example), value of
simplicity and things that are harder to explain like the proper
composition of a system.

I would appreciate any suggestions on either one.

Laeeth