OT - Git training Lon/HK and book recommendation on taste in programming

evilrat evilrat666 at gmail.com
Wed May 1 11:08:15 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 1 May 2019 at 09:51:01 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:

> Second question.  Lots of people these days start to program to
> solve their problems at work but they may never have been shown
> the basic principles of design, structuring and maintenance of
> their code.  If I could give them one book (and a few YouTube
> links) what should it be ?

If I understand correctly you basically need something for those
who already doing some basic scripting but doesn't get any real
programming skills yet.

In that case "Code Complete" by Steve McConnel probably will be
the best one for starters, it covers broad range of programming
aspects.
And my personal recommendations for that one probably to read the
last (or previous?) chapter first before starting from beginning,
this is where the whole book is described in 10-20 pages or so,
this should give the reader short overview of what to expect,
because reading a lot of stuff will get you anxious to know if
this is going to be explained later or not, and the book isn't
short.

But even despite such simplicity, learning programming from zero
will never be easy.