Framework design, initialization and framework usage

Robert M. Münch robert.muench at saphirion.com
Wed May 8 10:21:34 UTC 2019

On 2019-05-08 09:15:41 +0000, Ron Tarrant said:

> This sounds like a complete replacement for either QT, MFC, or GTK as
> well as Glade/QT Designer all rolled into one.

Let's say it's an alternative ;-)

All the ones you listed are either too big, too complicated, bring too
much stuff that we don't need etc. We took a look at every approach out
there. Unbelievable, but non really fit or impressed me.

Since we created such a framework on a different technology stack in
the past, and our product is based on it, we have quite some experience
how such a framework should work. GUI wise we did a lot of rounds in
the last 15 years and the single best decision I made was: Draw the
stuff yourself.

Oh, and I forgot one thing on my feature list: Text rendering. This
already works, but there is quite some work on editing text, and
layouting etc. But we have a zero dependency font loading and rending
system. Pretty neat.

>> For some simple real-time grid example see:
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/eyya0brc5sbcs09/Bildschirmaufnahme%202019-05-02%20um%2022.09.54.mov?dl=0
>>

> Very impressive.

Thanks, at the core, leaving out all the necessary envrionment code,
it's really only 50 lines of code. And the framework idea is, that I
can focus directly on those 50 lines of code after adding one import
statement.

>  Is there somewhere I can follow along with what you guys are doing? Do
> you have a GitHub presence?

We have one, but nothing published at the moment. I need to think about
this. A framework needs to have enough stuff included, to be usable for
others out-of-the-box. And it needs to be supported to lift off. So, I
think it's a bit early at the moment.

However, I'm happy to post some updates/screenrecordings to show our progress.

What are you interested in or what would you do with such a framework?

--
Robert M. Münch
http://www.saphirion.com