Framework design, initialization and framework usage

Robert M. Münch robert.muench at saphirion.com
Thu May 9 11:48:59 UTC 2019

On 2019-05-08 13:31:40 +0000, Ron Tarrant said:

> On Wednesday, 8 May 2019 at 10:21:34 UTC, Robert M. Münch wrote:
>
>> However, I'm happy to post some updates/screenrecordings to show our progress.
>
> Works for me.

Ok, so I need to find a good name for this thing which I can use as
thread subject :-)

>> What are you interested in or what would you do with such a framework?
>
> You sparked my interest because it sounds like you're working on
> something similar to what I cover in a blog I've been writing since
> January (http://gtkdcoding.com).

Ah, sorry, didn't catch the link. I saw this but didn't read anything
yet. Will do.

> Rather than write something from scratch like you guys (I'm not that
> brave) I take an OOP approach to GtkD, modularizing so it's as close to
> using Lego as possible. This blog is a revamp of another I started back
> in 2006 for PHP-GTK, but using D rather than PHP and updated to GTK
> 3.x. The original also included an application framework (which I
> haven't yet reproduced in D) with a pluggable do/undo/redo system.
>
> So you can see why I perked up when I read your thread.

Good to know that there are not only web-stack people around these days.

> And I assume your framework is written with D as a base language?

Yes. Of course we use some C bases libs but the overall goal is to make
a D framework.

> And you said it's cross-platform, too? Windows, Mac, Linux? Are any of
> the BSDs supported?

Since we are going to draw all GUI stuff ourself it should work on all
platforms where you can blit a memory buffer to screen. The part that's
most platform specific is the event loop. But that's not rocketscience.
Overall we try to keep the OS specific integration to an absolut
minimum.

The application won't know/see a difference on which platform it runs.
I expect some differences in how GUI actions are handled or
communicated to the framework, however these should be rare and can be
handled with conditional compilation.

> Assuming all that, we're very much of the same mind: cross-platform GUI
> applications made fast-n-easy using a single language and toolkit.

Great :-) Let's see how quick we move forward.

--
Robert M. Münch
http://www.saphirion.com