Functional Programming in D

Bienlein ffm2002 at web.de
Fri Oct 11 08:26:10 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 10 October 2019 at 16:05:13 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Thursday, 10 October 2019 at 08:59:49 UTC, Russel Winder
> wrote:
>
> My impressions is that the complaints about Scala are similar
> to C++: too many features that clash with one another and make
> the language complicated, plus extremely slow compilation
> times. I haven't seen a lot of complaints about mixing
> imperative and functional.

Scala compile times are slow, because Scala has more compilation
phases than C++. I guess that is because of feature bloat in the
language as such, IMHO not necessarily because FP and OOP are
mixed into the same language. Scala is just packed with too many
language constructs that are also in many cases quite extensive.
Then there is a problem with implicit conversions in Scala not
being scalable in compilation times, see
https://dzone.com/articles/implicits-scala-conversion

In Scala3 (due to be released in spring 2020) implicits were
replaced by what they call delegates (and extension methods were
introduced). Whether that reduces compilation times I don't know.
But the compiler in Scala3 is based on a complete new approach to
further reduce compilation times. However, Scala3 is a new
language. Whether people will make the move from Scala to Scala3
remains to be seen.