Blog Post #77: Notebook, Part I

Carsten Schlote carsten.schlote at gmx.net
Sat Oct 12 16:34:01 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 8 October 2019 at 10:00:00 UTC, Ron Tarrant wrote:
> Today starts a new series on the Notebook widget. Over the next
> few weeks, we'll dig in deep, looking at single-tab and
> multiple-tab demos, customizing the look of the actual tabs,
> adding and removing tabs... a whole ton of stuff. Sounds like
> fun, right?
>
> Come on over and check it out:
> https://gtkdcoding.com/2019/10/08/0077-notebook-i-basics.html

Nice work, Ron!

I'm just converted some of you examples into dub based projects,
and compiled and run them a normal intel PC and a Raspberry. As a
prerequisite I had to install the following on a Raspian Lite
installation (from a NOOP sdcard, no GUI)

$ sudo apt install libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0
libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-0

I also installed dub and ldc2 on it:

$ sudo apt install dub ldc2

I prepared a new project

$ dub init gtk_test_0 gtk-d

and replaced the contents of source/app.d with your very first
example 'Hello GtkD Imperative'.

Assuming you logged in with 'ssh -YXC pi@<yourbox>', you can
compile and start it with

$ dub run

A nice empty GTK window should appear now. Of course a normal
Raspbian installation with GUI should work as well.

Ever considered to provide such dub based examples on
GitHub/GitLab/... for easy access?

Such source examples could be very helpful for GTK newbies. And
dub projects should work on Windows as well.

Carsten