exceptions and optimization

Peter Jacobs peterj at mech.uq.edu.au
Mon Oct 21 20:12:19 UTC 2019

Toward the end of Walter's recent talk, D at 20, he says
something to the effect that optimizations are disabled when
exceptions can be thrown.  We have a compressible flow solver in
which it is very convenient to be able to throw an exception from
deep within the code and catch it at a relatively high level
where we can partially recover and continue the calculation.
Because our calculations can run for days across hundreds of
processors, we also care about letting the optimizer do its best.
In what parts of our program would the optimizer be disabled
because of the presence of the exception and its handling code?
How do we tell?