Good way let low-skill people edit CSV files with predefined row names?

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 16:03:26 UTC 2019

We're planning to have our product preview program to calculate
and suggest a price for the product displayed. There are a lot of
variables to take into account, so it's essential the users can
edit the price variables themselves.

The problem is that many of them are not the best computer users
around, even by non-programmer standards. I'd like the price
variable file to be in CSV format, so I don't have to go looking
for a new file parser (the preview program is mostly compiled to
JavaScript from C# with some D (spasm) and native JavaScript in
the mix). I know I can tell the users to use spreadsheet programs
to edit CSV, but they are still going to get the variable field
names wrong, and I do not want that.

Another option would be for me to write an editor for them
specially for this purpose. The editor would not have to be
embeddable into a browser, so I could write it in D. But it'd
have to use a GUI, which would likely take a relatively long time
to develop, and thus costly for my employer.

Does anybody know a program/file format that could enable editing
the fields while guarding against formatting/field naming errors?
Even if it isn't CSV, it is going to be easier for me to write a
translator than a GUI editor.