low-latency GC

Max Haughton maxhaton at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 10:44:39 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 6 December 2020 at 05:29:37 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grostad
wrote:
> On Sunday, 6 December 2020 at 05:16:26 UTC, Bruce Carneal wrote:
>> How difficult would it be to add a, selectable, low-latency GC
>> to dlang?
>>
>> Is it closer to "we cant get there from here" or "no big deal
>> if you already have the low-latency GC in hand"?
>>
>> I've heard Walter mention performance issues (write barriers
>> IIRC).  I'm also interested in the GC-flavor performance trade
>> offs but here I'm just asking about feasibility.
>
> The only reasonable option for D is single threaded GC or ARC.

It has to be either some kind of heavily customisable small GC
(i.e. with our resources the GC cannot please everyone), or arc.
The GC as it is just hurts the language.

Realistically, we probably need some kind of working group or at
least serious discussion to really narrow down where to go in the
future. The GC as it is now must go, we need borrowing to work
with more than just pointers, etc.

The issue is that it can't just be done incrementally, it needs
to be specified beforehand.