low-latency GC

Ola Fosheim Grostad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 11:07:50 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 6 December 2020 at 10:44:39 UTC, Max Haughton wrote:
> On Sunday, 6 December 2020 at 05:29:37 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grostad
> wrote:
> It has to be either some kind of heavily customisable small GC
> (i.e. with our resources the GC cannot please everyone), or
> arc. The GC as it is just hurts the language.
>
> Realistically, we probably need some kind of working group or
> at least serious discussion to really narrow down where to go
> in the future. The GC as it is now must go, we need borrowing
> to work with more than just pointers, etc.
>
> The issue is that it can't just be done incrementally, it needs
> to be specified beforehand.

ARC can be done incrementally, we can do it as a library first
and use a modified version existing GC for detecting failed
borrows at runtime during testing.

But all libraries that use owning pointers need ownership to be
made explicit.

A static borrow checker an ARC optimizer needs a high level IR
though. A lot of work though.