C++ or D?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 18:45:03 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 30 December 2020 at 18:24:41 UTC, sighoya wrote:
> On Wednesday, 30 December 2020 at 14:41:28 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grøstad wrote:
>> Most of the statements are wrong too...
>> "4732 features, but not a single one you actually want": wrong
>> again, C++20 has features that people would like to see in D
>>
> Could you elaborate a bit more, please? I'm interested.

Some people in the D community has for a long time wanted
stack-less coroutines. This is now available in C++20, and maybe
D can borrow the C++ implementation for LDC? That is an
interesting possibility for sure.

>> "template metaprogramming only capable of being understood by
>> mensa member": some aspects of C++20 metaprogramming is easier
>> than D
>>
> That would me interest, too!

The main addition for C++20 is concepts. Basically wrapping up
ugly tests in a simple template parameter type specifier so that
you can specify that a template parameter MUST support Addition
or be a Stack or whatever you want to require with very simple
syntax. (It also makes it easier to specify tests.)

Btw, did D ever get to add nested template parameters? I know
people asked for it a long time ago, but cannot remember if that
was resolved somehow?

> Just to say, I think not including multiple inheritance was a
> mistake for Java and all its descendants, though not a big one.
>
> Multiple inheritance needs just a good convention, that's all.

I almost never use multiple inheritance myself, but if you don't
use it, it does not affect you at all? So how could it be a
problem to have the option? *shrugs*