books for learning D

bachmeier no at spam.net
Mon Jan 13 11:32:38 UTC 2020

On Monday, 13 January 2020 at 11:20:31 UTC, mark wrote:
> On Monday, 13 January 2020 at 11:13:32 UTC, Ferhat Kurtulmuş
> wrote:
>> On Monday, 13 January 2020 at 11:08:45 UTC, Ferhat Kurtulmuş
>> wrote:

>>> Depending on your background:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.dlang.org/First_Language
>>> https://wiki.dlang.org/Coming_From
>>
>> Even if you are not new to programming this book would be a
>> good start:
>> http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/index.html
>
> Thanks for the links.
>
> I should have said that I find it a *lot* easier learning from
> a print book than online which is why I asked about the
> Alexandrescu book.
>
> Has D changed enough in 10 years to outdate that book? I know
> most other languages have but I'm completely new to D.

Ali's book
http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/index.html
is D's "official tutorial". You can buy a print copy. If you have
experience with other languages, Mike Parker's Learning D is also
an excellent choice. There's nothing wrong with Andrei's book for
a beginner, but I would personally recommend those two over
Andrei's for someone new to D.