books for learning D

René Heldmaier rene.heldmaier at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 13:24:01 UTC 2020

On Monday, 13 January 2020 at 10:28:48 UTC, mark wrote:
> I'm just starting out learning D.
>
> Andrei Alexandrescu's "The D Programming Language" is 10 years
> old, so is it still worth getting? (I don't know how much D has
> changed in 10 years.)

I found the book amazing. It not only explains the language, but
also how things work behind the scenes. For a book on programming
languages it's written in an entertaining style. It's also a joy
to see how beautiful the design of D is, compared to languages
like C++ or C#.

But...

The book is definitely not written for beginners. You should at
least have a good understanding of C (Especially the concept of
pointers). Even though the chapter on pointers is only 2 pages
long, the word "pointer" occurs 155 times in the book (I made a
quick search over my ebook version).