variant visit not pure?

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Fri May 8 19:40:51 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 7 May 2020 at 20:12:03 UTC, learner wrote:

> Modules of D standard library aren't in a good shape, if
> everyone suggests alternatives for a basic building block as
> variant.

I don't think Variant as a whole is the problem, when one uses it
as the infinite variant it does fairly much what one can expect.
The finite-field specialization of it is the one that's badly
implemented.

> The types VariantN can hold are known at compile time, why
> can't it be specialized?

It could, probably. This shows the biggest weakness (and
strength) of D development: It's voluntary, so people work on
that they happen to want to. That makes it unevenly developed
compared to financially backed projects. We have both plenty of
cool & rare features and lack of many relatively basic ones at
the same time.