Integration tests

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon May 11 14:14:41 UTC 2020

On Wed, 2020-04-22 at 11:19 +0000, aliak via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> On Wednesday, 22 April 2020 at 10:32:48 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> > Now I discover Python, Rust, and Go have far nicer abstractions
> > for writing Internet code than D does. Does D really not have a
> > TcpListener abstraction?
>
> It really doesn't :(

:-(

Even GTK+ has it's own wrappers around the base socket API to make it sensible
for programmers. GtkD offers these for GtkD-based applications, but D has no
language support for asynchronous (via Futures/Promises/event loops) which
leaves Rust (and Python) far ahead in this race to support asynchronous
programming.

> And D has so much potential as server tech with the potential
> combination of fibers + TLS + shared + static introspection.

Potential is necessary but not sufficient. Vibe.d seems to be one solution (in
the Rust Async_std and Tokio sense) but Rust has language level support for
Futures that make everything a lot easier in Rust than seemingly in D.

> The package Vibe-d is quite nice though. I don't know if you've
> tried it but it's very simple to get a listener up with it.

And now it seems we have Hunt. I am now dithering whether to use Vibe.d or
Hunt for my async TCP (but not HTTP(S)) server.

[…]
--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200