any chance to get it working on windows xp?

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Mon May 18 05:36:01 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 17 May 2020 at 22:30:22 UTC, a beginner wrote:

> I have searched online for some info, indeed I found something,
> but not being familiar with the tools it hasn't been terribly
> useful. Only it confirms that windows support is somewhat
> disappointing in general, xp or not.

I've been using D on Windows since I first found it in 2003. From
my perspective, Windows support is fairly solid.

> It seems to me my best chance is to stay with dmd 2.085.1, try
> fix the cache problem in dub 1.11 myself (or give up on that
> and build "by hand"), probably wrestle some linking problems
> (pretty sure I wouldn't succeed with that) and be happy until I
> can upgrade. After all, these days programming is just a hobby
> for me. But honestly, all this is quite annoying for a
> beginner. In my experience, trouble getting the tools to work
> is often the biggest obstacle in learning a new language (well,
> unless it's something really weird...), which in many cases
> means giving up after some cursing.

Unfortunately, the minimum Windows version "officially" supported
is Windows 7:

https://forum.dlang.org/post/ktfgps$2ghh$1@digitalmars.com

With no testing on XP, you are bound to run into difficulties
trying to use the tools there. So yeah, your best bet is using a
compiler version that works and see if building dub from source
makes a difference. If you can't get dub to work, then you'll
want to look into using rdmd, which has shipped with dmd for
years now, or perhaps makefiles.