any chance to get it working on windows xp?

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Mon May 18 10:54:07 UTC 2020

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 11:36:01 PM MDT Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d-learn
wrote:
> Unfortunately, the minimum Windows version "officially" supported
> is Windows 7:
>
> https://forum.dlang.org/post/ktfgps$2ghh$1@digitalmars.com
>
> With no testing on XP, you are bound to run into difficulties
> trying to use the tools there. So yeah, your best bet is using a
> compiler version that works and see if building dub from source
> makes a difference. If you can't get dub to work, then you'll
> want to look into using rdmd, which has shipped with dmd for
> years now, or perhaps makefiles.

I'm pretty sure that Phobos (and possibly druntime) use Windows API calls
that do not exist on XP and have done so for years now. You might get lucky
and get some stuff to work on XP, but not everything will work. The only way
to guarantee that it will work is to use a compiler version old enough that
XP was still supported (which probably means grabbing one from the 2013
timeframe given the date of Walter's post, though it may be possible to dig
through the changelog and find the exact version that Windows XP support was
officially dropped). However, you're not going to be able to pull in much of
anything with dub that way, because the older compiler likely won't be able
to compile the newer code, and I don't know if a version of dub that old
will ever work with the current dub repository.

- Jonathan M Davis