vibe.d / experience / feedback

Robert M. Münch robert.muench at saphirion.com
Mon Oct 12 11:18:34 UTC 2020

On 11 Oct 2020 at 21:10:20 CEST, "tastyminerals" <tastyminerals at gmail.com>
wrote:

> And I feel like you guys will just pick Go because it will get
> stuff done.

That's the main focus from a company perspective. We try to waste as less time
& money as possible.

> When I just started learning about D ecosystem, vibe frequently
> popped up as one of the popular frameworks available for the
> language AND also a reason for ppl to jump in and try out D.

I love D, like it a lot, follow it for many years, use it from time to time...
but it's not about me, but a team and a product we need to develop and
maintain. There are much more non-technical aspects important then
technical...

And, deciding about your tech-stack base is a path-dependent decision. Turning
to something else, has a very high cost impact.

> However, as time goes, I also pick up many complaints about vibe,
> its performance and ease of use compared to competitors. This
> post just solidifies the impression. Bad documentation is the
> worst thing that can happen to a project which gets promoted as a
> one of the gems of the language ecosystem and actually hurts the
> language image much more than does good. Sigh...

Well... I expect a lot of people taking a look at D do it like we do with
other solutions: I take a list of things I want to try out and start the timer
to see how long I take to get it done. This gives a good impression of the
eco-system, etc.

Taking a step back, D looks a bit scattered. A lot of stuff is there, the
standard lib is pretty good, many half-done packages, many corners to take a
look at. D is a big language, with a lot of concepts to learn and building up
experience is not fast.

> I will never advice vibe to anyone because I know that better alternatives
> exist. People will use Go, Python, Ruby, Rust whatever has better
> docs to get it running fast and not risk wasting time.

I'm pretty sure Vide is suitable for all kind of applications today. But you
need to have a higher "experimentation" scope in what you do. Once you build
up experience with all this stuff, I think there is no big difference to other
approaches. But the question is how long is this? 1, 2, X years?

> Sadly, this is how some languages grow and some don't. And it's
> not all about the corporate support, hype, GC or random luck,
> it's about cases like the above.

I think less is more, and D is pretty huge tpday. And, it's an OS project, so
people do what makes fun.

Go is mostly driving from a corporate perspective and the OS part is a side
aspect. That has some merits too.

Viele Grüsse.

--
Robert M. Münch