C++ or D?

SealabJaster sealabjaster at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 16:23:45 UTC 2021

On Friday, 1 January 2021 at 15:12:43 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Friday, 1 January 2021 at 15:01:15 UTC, RSY wrote:
>> one big move would be to finally put the allocators out of
>> std.experimental, and finally embrace this everywhere (just
>> like ziglang)
>
> I am bit torn on this, the less the compiler knows about
> allocation strategies, the less opportunity there are for the
> compiler to be smart about allocations. So, those things ought
> to be language constructs, not library constructs.
>
> At least if D is going to stay in the lane of high level
> programming. (Zig is firmly staking ground in the manual-labour
> department, as far as I can tell.)

Slightly off but also on topic but, has there been any general
consensus yet around standard pointer types (e.g. shared_ptr) and
standard allocator-aware data structures, or just in general any
discussions around non-GC memory management as part of
Phobos/core parts of D outside of "use/write a library"?

(And for completely off-topic: What are the plans for
std.experimental packages right now? Is std.experimental.logging
just going to sit there until the end of time?)