DConf talk : Exceptions will disappear in the future?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 22:01:08 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 5 January 2021 at 21:46:46 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> implemented, rather than the concept of exceptions itself.  If
> we implement Sutter's proposal, or something similar suitably
> adapted to D, it would eliminate the runtime overhead, solve
> the @nogc exceptions issue, and still support traditional
> polymorphic exception objects that some people still want.

I am not against it per se, but one caveat is that it would not
be compatible with C++.

Also, I think this is better determined using whole program
optimization, the chosen integer bit pattern used for propagating
errors has performance implications. The most freguently
thrown/tested value should be the one tested most on performance
critical paths.

Well, I guess you could manually assign integer values where
there is important and autogenerate the others.