Why many programmers don't like GC?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 11:11:58 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 14 January 2021 at 10:28:13 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
> Semi serious answer:
>
> In the domain of hoby-ism and small companies programmers that
> work with statically typed languages all believe that they are
> super hero in the domain of memory managment. When they see
> "GC" they think that they are considered as 2nd grade student ^^
>
> It's basically snobbism.

I know your response is *tongue in cheek*, but I actually find it
easier to use c++11 style memory management across the board than
mixing two models.

C style memory management, on the other hand, is pretty horrible
and you'll end up spend much of your time debugging
"unexplainable" crashes. I don't experience that much in C++ when
staying within their standard regime.

When you want more performance than standard C++ memory
management, things can go wrong e.g. manual emplace strategies
and forgetting to call destructors etc, but that is the same in
D. And frankly, you seldom need that, maybe 2-3 critical places
in your program (e.g. graphics/audio).