Why many programmers don't like GC?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 14:16:06 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 14 January 2021 at 13:05:31 UTC, sighoya wrote:
> But this is already the case for C++ and Rust. Remembering the
> days back developing in C++ there were a huge amount of memory
> deallocation side effects because opencv's memory management
> differs from qt's memory management.

The problem in C++ is that older frameworks have their own ways
of doing things for performance reasons or because the C++
standard they started with didn't provide what they needed...

And... most C++ frameworks that are big are old... If you avoid
big frameworks then it gets better.

> Personally, I find it better to prefer encapsulating manual
> memory management and not to leak them outside.

Yes. Most programmers don't need system level programming. So if
D defines itself to not be a system level programming language
then there would be room to improve a lot, but then it should
move towards more high level features and prevent the usage of
some low level features like untagged non-discriminating unions
of pointers. Rust is more high level than D... I think.