Why many programmers don't like GC?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 21:55:15 UTC 2021

On Friday, 15 January 2021 at 21:18:55 UTC, aberba wrote:
> TL;DR:
>
>> In summation, the garbage collection system is a robust part
>> of Unreal Engine that affords C++ programmers a lot of safety
>> from memory leaks, as well as convenience. With this
>> high-level discussion, I was aiming to introduce the system at
>> a conceptual level, and I hope I have achieved that.

What is your conceptual level? You haven't described what it
does, and does not do. But yes, frameworks need that allow
"scripting" in some shape or form (compiled or not) has to hide
internal structures and intricacies and provide some convenience.

However, you write your own from scratch you can often times
build the marking into an existing pass, so you get it for free.
Not uncommon for people who write code that modify graphs.

There is a big difference between writing a dedicated collector
for a dedicated graph, and a general ownership mechanism for the
whole program.